Friday, June 7, 2013

Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane, Suzanne Collins

Book 2 in the Underland Chronicles. Every bit as breathtaking and harrowing and suspenseful as the first, and maybe even more so. While taking Boots sledding in Central Park, the crawlers take her down to the Underland knowing that Gregor will follow. They need his help with the Prophecy of Bane.

This is the book where I completely became emotionally attached with Gregor in a similar way that I did with Katniss-unable to fully experience an emotion I felt I should be experiencing it-until Gregor himself allowed himself to feel it. Collins has an exceptional way of making you emotionally attached to the protagonist.

I've also decided that it's sometimes emotionally taxing to have an extremely good reference point for the other characters too. Lizzie (the middle child in Gregor's family whom you still don't know a whole lot about) is 8, and I have an 8 year old daughter. Boots is 2 and I have a 2 year old daughter, as I mentioned in the last post. Now, whenever Boots is in any sort of danger, I immediately get that mother instinct of being anxious and how I would feel if Boots were MY child. Yeah. It does something to you.

The other thing that I'm starting to really like is that these prophecy's are pretty straightforward while also being extremely vague. And what you think you know 100% turns out to be completely wrong when you DO figure it out. It shows that there can be-and often are-several explanations for the same thing, several interpretations and ways of looking at a problem. And sometimes the solutions are counter-intuitive to what you THINK is supposed to be done, but if you examine yourself INSIDE and are a character of good morale, you'll know what the right thing to do is. And it really proves that only hindsight is 20/20.

I checked out the first 3 books in the 5 book chronicle, so I'm on to #3 and can't wait to see what happens next!

No comments:

Post a Comment