Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Non Review- "The Casual Vacancy" by JK Rowling

I mentioned earlier that I would be reviewing JK Rowling's first novel for adults, "The Casual Vacancy". However, less than 30 pages into it I cannot keep going. I have seen the "f" word more in those pages than I heard in my high school hallway on any given day. And not to mention the profanity of "God" and "Jesus Christ." And there is a theme of sexuality among several different characters. I'm not sure how is pertinent to the story. And perhaps I'll never know since I just don't feel like I should continue.

This in no wise makes me feel less of Rowling and her Harry Potter series that I LOVE. But maybe if this is what it means to be an "adult" novel, I need to stick with young adult novels. I realize that the language and actions of her characters are that-things of the CHARACTERS and not necessarily a reflection of how SHE is. But with that said, I am really disappointed that the characters of "The Casual Vacancy" are so crude that I have no desire to find out more about them.

I wouldn't say I'm offended by it, just disappointed. And if that kind of stuff doesn't bother you, or if you are able to ignore it more easily that I am, I'm sure it would be a fabulous read.

No comments:

Post a Comment