Friday, October 14, 2011

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

This is my most recently finished read. I really, REALLY enjoyed it. The characters span 3 generations and you get a first person look at each one. With that said, at first, it is a little confusing to read because you MUST check the location and date at the beginning of each chapter (I have been known to miss those types of things because I am going to read "just one more chapter" and then realize too late that I've read 5 since I missed when new chapters began....). However, once you get into it, it becomes easier to jump mentally. It was a bit of a slower read for me in the beginning, but about half way through, it became a real page turner and I could think of little else. Were my gut feelings right? Wrong? Had I figured out the story? Yes! Wait, no. Maybe? Because it transcends around 100 years, there are mini cliff hangers within each generation as the story skips around. It's literally like reading a puzzle, one piece at a time. Sometimes reading the edges, the middle, the top left corner, the bottom right. There are also some really great life lessons to be learned. Are we going to let what we have, or what we don't have define who we are? And does it really do us much good to wonder "What if?" And even if circumstances haven't been ideal, and even if they aren't what we would have necessarily chosen for ourselves, could it be for our best?

No comments:

Post a Comment