Friday, November 13, 2015

Life of Pi, Yann Martel


So I tried reading this a couple years ago, but it was just really slow and I had other books vying for my attention. So it wasn't until I saw it on the list of books mentioned in Gilmore Girls (and hence part of the "Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge") that I decided to try again. Only this time, I decided to listen to the audio. The narrator was very good. There are 2 narrators, one for the Writer, one for Pi, and he has a very good accent. He also does accents for the Japanese guys who interview Pi to try to find out why the ship sank. This book was MUCH better to listen to, rather than to read. As many slower books are.

I'm not sure I can say I truly enjoyed this book or not. It was a good story. It made me think about what psychological trauma does to a person and how they decide to view things. However, searching on the internet, the intent of this book is more of a theological one and how nearly everything is a matter of preference and is subjective to what you want  to be true. I'm not sure I completely agree with the author's intent, but I can appreciate the attempt.

The movie was enoyable, although I don't know that it would have appealed to me without having read the book. I though the execution of the story being told in flashback mode was a smart move.

No comments:

Post a Comment