Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Where She Went, Gayle Forman



Super fast, easy read. Still a bit more swearing than I'm usually comfortable with. I still don't care how "authentic" it made it or not, it's just not my taste.

This one is entirely from Adam's perspective. It took me awhile to get into it, since I had JUST read Mia's voice, I didn't feel like Adam's voice was completely distinct. It was interesting to have a guy protagonist who was completely torn apart by the fact that his girlfriend almost dies, stays by her side every step of the way to rehab to get to Juilliard on time, to be completely dropped without rhyme or reason. What gives? You spend most of the book incredibly angry at Mia, but feeling like you have no right to be angry at her given her circumstance. Which is exactly how Adam feels. So there's a good authentic emotional vibe going on.

Luckily, Forman likes to give you answers. Even though you have to wait, you DO get answers. And you DO get closure. I like how she explored the seriousness and the benefits of closure. Sometimes when things don't end up as we hoped or planned, we can come to accept them if we have a little understanding of what went wrong. It's all that "what if" and not being able to wrap your mind around things. If you know what went wrong, maybe you could fix it! But if no one explains, you don't get that chance. And it's frustrating. She also explores the pressure of being famous. The ugly side of being the one showing up in tabloids. Kinda makes you feel a little more sympathetic. And yeah, they chose that life and they knew that their life and a bunch of lies about it were going to get smeared all over. But we should remember that underneath it all, they ARE still people. And people, generally speaking, still have feelings. Even if I had everything I could ever need or want, I doubt it'd make up for being mocked or made fun of all the time.

Anyway, I personally appreciated the fact that this BOOK had good closure to it. And it was definitely entertaining. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment