Thursday, March 15, 2012

Welcome to your Child's Brain

So here's some non-fiction that caught my eye on the "new books" shelf in my library. There is enough humor and anecdotal narrative that makes this immensely more pleasurable to read than a text book. I have always been fascinated by the brain and how it works. I didn't pick this up to learn how to be a better parent, although it does explain a few things about why certain things "work" rather than others, which is helpful as a parent. It was my fascination with brains that drew me in. I feel like I know myself a little better too.

While non-fiction and full of large words and names of brain anatomy, this did NOT read like boring textbook. While not exactly a "page turner" (it took me a couple months to digest-well, I didn't have a lot of time to devote to it either), it wasn't dry either. There are enough vignettes and anecdotes to make it even more accessible to the lay man. I highly recommend this! And I will be looking forward to reading their other book, simply "Welcome to Your Brain" in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment